Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Ageing Beauty


I've been thinking about ageing lately.  I find myself celebrating more fiftieth birthdays than fortieth, my teenagers are growing up fast, the years seem to be accelerating and I wonder how I will age.  I'm obviously not alone in my curiosity; a lifestyle blog I follow, The Women's Room observes older women too, and I quote from one of their recent blog posts here: 'The older one gets the more you notice old people and how they live, as the realisation that this will one day be you, becomes a reality.'  Another great blog is That's Not My Age set up a journalist who firmly believes 'you don't have to have youth to have style'.

Talking of style, this is a photo of a neighbour of mine who has become a good friend.  I think she has a timeless beauty and style; she always looks so poised and elegant.  Here she is dressed in a simple black T-shirt and black jeans.  Her soft white hair has grown back after it fell out during chemotherapy sessions earlier in the year and now looks perfectly chic.  She has some light makeup on and I think looks great as I pass by her garden with my dog and camera at 11am in the morning.  Jo is eighty three, her life hasn't been easy, yet she has always looked after her appearance.

I hope I'll look this good when I'm in my eighties.

For this week's gallery over at Sticky Fingers.  The theme is beauty.

22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and inspiring woman

    Herding Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she is, so strong-willed too.

      Delete
  2. I love your take on the theme. Your neighbour is indeed beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate captures like this. They always have a grace about them. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a bloomin' wonder for 82. Very chic and immaculate. Age can be beautiful, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be. We don't all age so well...

      Delete
  5. 82? She looks so stunning and elegant - a strong energy. A great portrait taken by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredibly elegant lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take a leaf out of her book and set my standards a bit higher.

      Delete
  7. Amazing, I hope I look that amazing in my 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly beautiful and your words are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiration, hope I look half that good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so positive and a complete inspiration.

      Delete